Job Title Sr. R & D Engineer (Mechanical Design Focus)
Location: Santa Ana, CA, 92702, USA
Sr. R & D Engineer (Mechanical Design Focus)
Santa Ana, California, United States
Feb 01, 2018
Identify business unmet need on polymeric material cross coronary and structure heart business and perform technology scouting and evaluation on new material and process technology to solve problem and build platform technology for future product development.Leads research/development projects in multi-functional project teams (as assigned). Design and development of new and modified coronary structural heart device for medical applications in a regulated environment.Activities will include technology scouting, build material strategy, methods/process development, prototype building/testing, design modeling, tooling design/fabrication, equipment design/fabrication, qualification, validation, and documentation.
- Technical resource to all departments and represents RD on project teams.
- Communication across business units and key stakeholders to identify unmet material need.
- Design and implementation of new coronary structural heart device based on requirements specifications.
- Technology scouting and identify opportunities for feasibility studies to prove concept.
- Performs feasibility test and Specifies tests for product testing based on design specifications and applicable guidelines (industrial and government guidelines and/or standards).
- Performs data analysis (statistical and practical) and develops appropriate action plans based upon such analysis.
- Develops tooling and test equipment designs for product assembly and testing.Examples of pertinent duties include creating CAD drawings, equipment modeling, specifications development.
- Prepares plans and schedules for own work and others as required.
- Communicates progress and decisions to associates and functional manager.
- Project leader for research projects (as assigned).Duties include project schedule maintenance, organize and facilitate team meetings, project documentation, and coordination of project team activities.
- Participates in technical reviews.
- Follows company policies and procedures.
- Identifies opportunities productivity and quality improvements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, THE FOLLOWING BASIC QUALIFICATIONS MUST BE EVIDENT ON YOUR RESUME
BS in Material science, Polymer engineering or Biomedical Engineering, or BS in related field with appropriate engineering course work. Master in biomedical engineering preferred.
Years of Experience
Min. 5 years of medical device engineering work , preferred 3-5 years in prosthetic heart valve product development design and testing.
- Specific knowledge of Domestic and International standards for cardiovascular diseases and devices.
* Experience with delivery system material development and material selection
- Curious about new technologies, interest in phase 0 projects and development of new concepts and problem solving.
Specialized Knowledge or Skills
(Needs to be objective, relevant, and non-comparative)
- Knowledge of United States and International regulatory requirements (medical device, general), GMPs and industry standards/guidelines.
- Deep understanding of polymeric material property, characterization and manufacturing process(extrusion, injection, additives, etc. ).
- Understanding of implant-tissue interaction and evaluation
- Computer Skills : CAD; Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, and PowerPoint; LabVIEW; Matlab
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Project management and planning
- Statistical Methods
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile.
* The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers.
* Other examples: Able to lift 25 pounds, Able to view items through microscope, Extended periods of time doing computer-based work
* Specific vision abilities required sometimes include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
**Able to travel ~25%**It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Website : http://www.medtronic.com/
Medtronic, Inc. manufactures and sells device-based medical therapies worldwide. The company operates in two segments, Cardiac and Vascular Group, and Restorative Therapies Group. The Cardiac and Vascular Groups products include pacemakers; implantable defibrillators; leads and delivery systems; ablation products; electrophysiology catheters; products for the treatment of atrial fibrillation; information systems for the management of patients with cardiac rhythm disease management (CRDM) devices; coronary and peripheral stents and related delivery systems; therapies for uncontrolled hypertension; endovascular stent graft systems; heart valve replacement technologies; cardiac tissue ablation systems; and open heart and coronary bypass grafting surgical products. The Restorative Therapies Group offers products for various areas of the spine; bone graft substitutes; biologic products; trauma, implantable neurostimulation therapies, and drug delivery devices for the treatment of chronic pain, movement disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), overactive bladder, urinary retention, and fecal incontinence and gastroparesis; external insulin pumps; subcutaneous CGM systems; products to treat conditions of the ear, nose, and throat; and devices that incorporate advanced energy technology. It also manufactures and sells image-guided surgery and intra-operative imaging systems; and provides Web-based therapy management software solutions. The company serves hospitals, physicians, clinicians, and patients in approximately 140 countries. Medtronic, Inc. was founded in 1949 and is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota.